Australia Education Guide For Indian Students
The Association of Australian Education Representatives in India (AAERI) – Edwise is an accredited member of AAERI – since its inception. The Association is supported by Australian High Commission, New Delhi and its members. AAERI aims to maintain high level of ethics in the profession of counselling and students recruitment for Australia. Quality Assurance In Australia every course offered in a university has CRICOS Code which is given by Australian Government reflecting that the education system is fully controlled by the Government in Australia. There is no formal ranking of universities. Thus students from all around the world have long made Australia their education destination.
As Australia is a preferred destination for a large number of Indian students coming to Australia to study, a set of guidelines has been drawn up with the purpose of making Indian students (and their parents and families) aware of what is involved in coming to Australia on a student visa.
Students (and their parents and families) are advised to go carefully through this advisory
There have been incidents of robbery and assault on Indian students in Australia, particularly in Melbourne, with the offenders being mainly young people in their teens and early 20s. While Australia is, by and large, free of crime, there are, as everywhere else in the world, certain criminal elements, especially in urban areas.
- The Hon’ble Supreme Court’s Directions Regarding Attacks on Indian Students in Australia
A young Indian, aged 21 years old, was fatally stabbed in Melbourne on 2 January, 2010, as he was walking to his place of work late at night from a train station through a public park. The offenders have been arrested and sentenced to serve in jail.
- Ministry of External Affairs Advisory on Students Studying in Australia : 04 January, 2010
Australia overall is a multicultural society that welcomes people from other cultures, countries and backgrounds. While the majority of Indian students studying in Australia, especially those enrolled in Universities and reputable institutions, have a positive experience of living and studying in Australia, there were about a number of incidents of assault as well as of robbery during 2009 and 2010, which affected not only Indian students but also members of the larger Indian community in Australia. There have been racist elements in some of these incidents.
STUDY IN TOP UNIVERSITIES IN AUSTRALIA
Australian Qualification Framework (AQF)
Australia has an integrated nationwide system of qualifications, known as the Australian Qualification Framework (AQF), which is recognized by the Australian Government. Under this, students can move easily from one level of study to the next and receive credit for previous study. It brings together the quality offered at different levels.
Type of institution
There are 39 universities ranging in size from around 3,000 students to 50,000 students – 37 of these are government run. Australian universities offer undergraduate and postgraduate programs in traditional and modern subject areas such as innovative courses in IT, electronic business and science. Australian academics have won prestigious awards, including several Nobel Prizes, and are involved in ground-breaking research.
Courses available at Under Graduate & Graduate Level
Awarded courses vary considerably with the higher education sector in the form of entry requirements, duration and method of assessment. The following awards are offered by Australian Universities:
- Doctoral Degree
- Masters Degree
- Graduate Diploma / Graduate Certificate
- Bachelors Degree
- TAFE Certificate III & IV
- Undergraduate Diploma / Advanced Diploma and
- Associate Diploma/ AQF (Australian Quality Framework) Diploma
- Humanities : English, Philosophy, History, Foreign Language Studies, Communications, Psychology
- Education : Education Studies, Teaching, Early Childhood, Special Education
- Social Studies: Geography, Behavioural Studies, Welfare And Counseling, Sport And Recreation, Sociology
- Mathematics And Computing: Mathematics And Statistics, Computer Based Information System, Computer Science
- Science: Science Pharmacology, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Biotechnology
- Visual And Performing Arts: Art, Graphic Arts, Fashion Design, Crafts, Performing Arts, Music
- Engineering: Chemical, Civil, Electrical, Electronics, Structural, Mechanical, Automotive, Aeronautical, Mining, Industrial, General Engineering, Computer, Telecommunications, Mechatronics, Polymer, Environmental
- Business Administration And Law: Economics, Accounting, Commerce, Management, Administration, Marketing, Finance, HR
- Health Sciences: Nursing, Nutrition, Environmental Health, Personal And Family Health Care, Pharmacy, Veterinary Sci, Public Health, Physiotherapy.
- Agriculture: Agriculture, Forest, Horticulture
- Hospitality & Tourism: Hotel Management, Tourism Management, Commercial Cookery.
STUDY IN AUSTRALIA UNIVERSITIES
Intakes to Study in Australia
Australia generally has two intakes i.e. February and July, with few Universities offering multiple intake in September & November. It is suggested that you should start making applications ideally 7-8 months prior to the intake. University generally takes around 4-6 weeks to process the applications.
Documents needed for making an application are resume, statment of purpose, marksheets and passing certificates from 10th onwards, two reference letters from colleges / employers and passport copy or birth certificate & IELTS score sheet.
Entry Requirements / Eligibility
Undergraduate – Bachelors
- A good academic record in High School Certificate or 12 years of schooling
- Some courses such as Computing and Engineering will require Mathematics and /or Science as pre-requisites
- 6.0 IELTS
Study Postgraduate in Australia – Study Masters in australia
- A good academic record in Bachelors Degree from a recognized university is necessary
- Any work experience in the field will be helpful
- For MBA programs at some Universities students need to have work experience along with their Bachelors Degree
- 6.5 IELTS
ADMISSIONS TO STUDY IN AUSTRALIA UNIVERSITIES
Edwise is an authorised agent by the Australian high commisson for processing the visas electronically.
- Student visa is valid till a month after the corse completion.
- Course requirements must be satisfied and valid enrolment maintained.
- Students may not work more than 20 hours per week while the course is in session.
- Students must maintain health insurance while in Australia.
A student breaching any of these conditions may be required to terminate their studies and leave Australia. Even before a student visa is issued, there are certain requirements which must be met to the satisfaction of the Australian authorities abroad.
The prospective student should :
- Be accepted for a full-time course of study (registered by the Australian Government for overseas students).
- Not intend to become a permanent resident.
- Have adequate financial means for the duration of their studies.
- Have evidence of arrangements for health insurance in Australia.
- Have reasonable proficiency in English to successfully undertake the intended course. (IELTS)
- Have a Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) from the institute for any preliminary course you have enrolled & the Offer lettter / COE for the Principal Course.
- Have a current passport valid for the period of stay in Australia.
- Have access to an acceptable Credit Card.
- Have access to sufficient funds to cover study cost, living cost, accommodation and to and fro travel expenses. Satisfy the health requirements as per the Asutralian high commission rules.
- Be of a good character.
- Part Time work rights included in student visa
- Student visa information now being stored online so actual evidencing of student visa on passports is not required
- Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) system, allows visa holders & their employers, banks & government services to check the visa entitlement on visa holders consent. For mor information visit www.immi.gov.au/evisa/evo.htm
- Issuing of visa may take as long as 3 months
STUDENT VISA TO STUDY IN AUSTRALIA UNIVERSITIES
Australian Student visa application can be processed in 2 ways, Electronically (E-visa) & Manually (Paper base visa) under the guidance of experienced Australia immigration experts at EDWISE you can certainly bid adieu to all worrisome tasks involved in your visa procedure. “Edwise are the E-visa lodgment agent and AAERI member” Where to Apply: If an Applicant wants to apply online, then e-visa is lodged directly from the Australian High Commission’s online gateway which is assessed in Adelaide, Australia; If an Applicant wants to apply paper base visa then an applicant can submit their visa application at any of the VFS Application Centers available in 10 cities Process: a. How many days prior a student can apply for visa It is adviced to file for Visa 3 months in Advance to avoid any delay b. Document Checklist The Documents required for Visa has to be in 5 sets 1. Personal Details forms & Information 2. All Academics – Originals 3. All Financial Documents – Originals 4. All Academic Documents – Notary Attested 5. All financial documents – Notary Attested c. Visa Application Fees The Visa application fees currently are AUD $ 540. (Subject to change) d. Processing Time The processing time required by the high is 8-12 weeks English Ability Requirements IELTS is mandatory to obtain Australian Student Visa For more information you can meet the Visa counselor at Edwise branch. (Updated till 1st June 2010)