The farmer issues such as jersey cow import, irrigation water scarcity are the key elements in this protest. The protesters associated the jersey cow import with banning of bull sport. And associated the production of coke and pepsy drinks with irrigation water scarcity.
The Indian Supreme Court banned the sport in 2014, under an Indian law(Section 22(ii), PCA Act, 1960) aimed at preventing cruelty to animals.
- On 16 January 2017, villagers of Alanganallur protested at Alanganallur ‘Vaadi vaasal‘ and get arrested.
- On 17 January 2017, in support of the arrested, Students gathered in Marina Beach.
- On 19 January 2017, Tamil Nadu chief minister, O Paneerselvam met Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- On 20 January 2017, the Supreme Court agreed not to pass judgment on the Jallikattu issue for a week.
- On 21 January 2017, an ordinance promulgated by the Governor on Jallikattu.
- On 22 January 2017, more than 1 Lakh people assembled in Marina Beach.
- On 23 January 2017, this protest ends and violence erupted while clearing the protesters.
- On 24 January 2017, two of the biggest trade associations in Tamil Nadu have asked their members not to sell products manufactured by Pepsi and Coca-Cola from March 1, 2017.
This protest is followed by Kambala(Buffalo Race) protest in Karnataka.